This one's for my family...it's all about Eric.
- The first week of school and basketball was tough for him, but he's gotten into the swing of things and has learned to at least keep up.
- He and Ryan get along well except Ryan never eats because he has to lose weight. Eric: "You wanna get something to eat?" Ryan: "Dude, we just ate an hour ago." Eric is always hungry, and the dining hall closes at 6:30, so he spends $25 to have food delivered every night.
- Eric said that when the team goes out together everyone comes up and talks to them. "They're not regular people there, mom, they're like gods."
- After Eric missed his ride to Columbia last night with Ryan because Eric went to the movies, then called me at 9:30 p.m. and said, "How am I going to get to school?," and eventually paid a friend to drive him there; and last week wrecked his car which now needs a whole new engine because he ran over a sign in the middle of the street, I said to him, "Feel free not to come home next weekend." Yeah, I really did. Larry said it was mean. I thought not.
- The car is still at the shop waiting for us to decide what to do. We think the hassle of driving him around, him using our cars and relying on others for rides may not be worth any potential lessons learned.
- The dirty laundry Eric brings home every weekend never includes socks. This weekend I finally asked him why. He said, "Mom, I take off my uniform and socks after practice, put them in a bag, and two hours later they're back in my locker...just like that." Oh jeez.
- One of his teammates missed class one day and the next morning the whole team had to get up at 4 a.m. and run sprints and suicides. That should be a nice wake up call to show there's no "I" in team.
- The turning point in accepting the pressures of college basketball may have come when he signed about 50 autographs at camp last week. I'm pretty sure he loved it. But apparently he needs to work on his signature, because "all the guys teased me about mine."
|Kids at camp|
- He sent me this pic with the caption "First injury of the year." Turns out it's just shin splints, but he had these last year and could hardly walk. What helped was good inserts in his shoes. Need to put that on my list of things to buy. Along with a new engine.